There are two main skin type charts used by dermatologists and found in dermatology textbooks:
Fitzpatrick Skin Type Chart with 6 skin types
Have you ever wondered what your skin type is?
We can help.
First lets discuss the Baumann Skin Type Chart and then we will look at the Fitzpatrick Skin Type Chart.
Baumann Skin Type Chart
There are 16 skin types based on the presence or absence of 4 barriers to skin health.
Each skin type has different skin conditions. This skin type chart helps you match skin care products to your skin's needs.
Click below to learn more about each skin type on the skin type chart:
What do the 4 Letters in the Baumann Skin Typing System Mean?
The 4 letters when used together are known as the Baumann Skin Type Indicator. (1-4)
These 4 skin type letters are used by dermatologists to divide patients (5-9) into 16 unique skin type phenotypes using a validated questionnaire (10-11) in order to prescribe skin care regimens. (12-13)
There are multiple medical publications about this that can be found below in the references. (14)
This is THE skin type system used by dermatologists globally to prescribe skin care products and a skin care routine.
Fitzpatrick Skin Type Chart
The Fitzpatrick Skin type is based upon how your skin responds in the sun? Does it tan? Does it burn?
The Fitzpatrick Skin Typing System in no way determines what skin care products are right for you.
It was developed as a way for dermatologists to decide what dose of ultraviolet rays to use to treat psoriasis and vitiligo with phototherapy.
You determine your Fitzpatrick skin type by answering a set of questions.
The Fitzpatrick skin type is also not a measure of ethnicity- but rather how easily your skin makes melanin.
To find out what skin care products are right for you- shop by your Baumann Skin Type.
References and Medical publications about skin types:
1. Baumann, L. (2008). Understanding and treating various skin types: the Baumann Skin Type Indicator. Dermatologic clinics, 26(3), 359-373.
2. Baumann, L. (2009). The Baumann skin-type indicator: a novel approach to understanding skin type. Handbook of Cosmetic Science and Technology, 3rd Edition, Informa Healthcare, New York, 29-40.
3. Baumann, L. (2008, 2012, 2019). Cosmetics and Skin Care in Dermatology. Fitzpatrick’s Dermatology in General Medicine. 7t, 8th and 9th eds. New York: McGraw Hill.
4. Baumann, Leslie S. “The Baumann Skin Typing System” in Farage MA, et al. Textbook of Aging Skin Skin. Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg (2017): 1579-1594.
5. Ahn, S. K., Jun, M., Bak, H., Park, B. D., Hong, S. P., Lee, S. H., ... & Park, K. (2017). Baumann skin type in the Korean female population. Annals of dermatology, 29(5), 586-596.
6. Choi, J. Y., Lim, J. Y., Kim, H. S., Min, J., Kim, J. I., Seo, H. M., ... & Kim, W. S. (2015). P241: A study on Korean womens skin types by baumann skin type questionnaire. ????? (? ???), 67(2), 501-502.
7. Choi, J. Y., Choi, Y. J., Nam, J. H., Jung, H. J., Lee, G. Y., & Kim, W. S. (2016). Identifying skin type using the Baumann skin type questionnaire in Korean women who visited a dermatologic clinic. Korean Journal of Dermatology, 54(6), 422-437.
8. Lee, Y. B., Park, S. M., Bae, J. M., Yu, D. S., Kim, H. J., & Kim, J. W. (2017). Which Skin Type Is Prevalent in Korean Post-Adolescent Acne Patients?: A Pilot Study Using the Baumann Skin Type Indicator. Annals of dermatology, 29(6), 817-819.
9. Park, J. W., Park, S. J., Park, K. Y., Ahn, G. Y., Seo, S. J., & Kim, M. N. (2019). P062: A study on the correlation of skin types with genetic factors and environmental factors in Koreans. ????? (? ???), 71(2), 354-354.
10. Baumann, Leslie S., et al. “A Validated Questionnaire for Quantifying Skin Oiliness” Journal of Cosmetics, Dermatological Sciences and Applications 4 (2014): 78-84.
1. Baumann, Leslie. “Validation of a Questionnaire to Diagnose the Baumann Skin Type in All Ethnicities and in Various Geographic Locations” Journal of Cosmetics, Dermatological Sciences and Applications 6 (2016): 34-40.
12. Baumann, L. (2006). The skin type solution: a revolutionary guide to your best skin ever. Bantam.
13. Baumann, L. (2020). 14 A Scientific Approach to Cosmeceuticals. The Art of Aesthetic Surgery, Three Volume Set: Principles and Techniques.
14. Lee, Y. B., Ahn, S. K., Ahn, G. Y., Bak, H., Hong, S. P., Go, E. J., ... & Goo, J. W. (2019). Baumann Skin Type in the Korean Male Population. Annals of Dermatology, 31(6), 621-630.