16 Baumann Skin Types
What is the Baumann Skin Type? Discover Your Custom Skin Care Regimen
The Baumann Skin Type System is a skin type classification system used by dermatologists and skin care experts to divide the skin into 16 distinct skin types in order to prescribe the best skin care regimen for their patients. It was first described by dermatologist Dr. Leslie Baumann in her New York Times bestselling book The Skin Type Solution (Bantam 2006) and the dermatology textbooks Cosmetic Dermatology and Fitzpatrick’s Dermatology in General Medicine.
Knowing your Baumann Skin Type® is the best way to assess your skin health and make sure you are using the best skin care products for your skin type.
What Are the 16 Baumann Skin Types?
Each skin type is determined by the presence or absence of 4 barriers to skin health. Your skin type will match one of each of these categories. To find out what type of skin you have- it is best to take the skin type quiz. If you want to try and guess, chose one letter of the two choices from each section below.
(“Combination skin types” fall into either the D or O category in the Baumann Skin Typing System so choose which best describes your skin the way it is today. Confused? Read this)
S= Sensitive Skin or R= Resistant Skin
(choose S if you have acne, inflammation, redness, stinging or frequent rashes on the face).
P= Uneven skin pigment (dark spots on face) or N= No dark spots
Choose P if you have melasma, sunspots, or dark spots you want to get rid of.
W= Wrinkle-prone or T= Tight unwrinkled skin & healthy habits
(Choose W if you are over 30 or you get a lot of sun exposure or you smoke)
To find your skin type, put the chosen letter from each section above together to identify your 4 letter Baumann Skin Type on the skin type chart. For example, DSNW.
(Note that taking the skin type quiz is better than guessing because you will receive specific skincare regimen advice once you complete the skin type quiz.
Why Do I Need To Know My Baumann Skin Type To Improve My Skin Health?
Unless you are Baumann Skin Type 10, which is the healthiest skin type, you have underlying issues affecting your skin’s health. Every product that you put on your skin affects your skin condition. The ingredients you should use on your skin and the ingredients that you should avoid all depend upon your Baumann Skin Type. The best way to have healthy glowing skin is to know your true skin type and use the right products that will really work for you and will not cause skin irritation. Please do not guess!
There is an 80% chance you are wrong about your skin type!
Why Are Most People Wrong About Their Skin Type?
Most people only think about one aspect of their skin issues when guessing their skin type. For example- you may think your skin type is dry or oily- but this is only the type of the iceberg. To level up your skin care routine- you need to consider 4 main issues that affect skin health when determining your skin type.
Baumann Skin Type Classification System
You can learn more about each skin type by fining your 4 letter skin type number below:
Dry (D) vs Oily (O) Skin Types
- How to Identify:
- Why is My Skin Dry or Oily?
- Dry skin has an impaired skin barrier and not enough sebum (oil) to compensate. This causes a defective skin barrier and increases the evaporation of water off of the skin. You will have dehydrated, dull skin that is rough and does not glow.
- Oily skin is skin that makes enough or too much sebum. Normal skin is actually oily skin because sebum is necessary to have normal oily skin. Excessive oil production causes oily skin, increased whiteheads and blackheads and large pores.
- Dry Skin Types
- DSPT Baumann Skin Type 1
- DSNT Baumann Skin Type 2
- DSPW Baumann Skin Type 3
- DSNW Baumann Skin Type 4
- DRPT Baumann Skin Type 13
- DRNT Baumann Skin Type 14
- DRPW Baumann Skin Type 15
- DRNW Baumann Skin Type 16
- Products for Dry Skin
- Cleansers for dry skin such as Nonfoaming creamy cleansers are the cleansers for dry skin.
- Choose barrier repair moisturizers
- Learn more about skin care for dry skin on your face
- Oily Skin types
- OSPT Baumann Skin Type 5
- OSNT Baumann Skin Type 6
- OSPW Baumann Skin Type 7
- OSNW Baumann Skin Type 8
- ORPT Baumann Skin Type 9
- ORNT Baumann Skin Type 10 = The Perfect Skin Type
- ORPW Baumann Skin Type 11
- ORNW Baumann Skin Type 12
- Products for Oily Skin
Sensitive (S) vs Resistant (R)
- How to Identify:
- Why is My Skin Sensitive or Resistant?
- Sensitive skin is susceptible to inflammation
- Resistant skin rarely gets redness, pimples or rashes.
- Products for sensitive skin
- Look for soothing anti-inflammatory ingredients
- Soothing cleansers
- Soothing moisturizers
- Products for resistant skin
Pigmented (P) vs No dark spots (N)
- How to Identify:
- Why does my skin have an even Tone (N) or dark pigment spots (P)?
- Skin color is caused by pigments in the skin
- Inflammation, sun exposure, hormones, and other factors cause uneven skin pigmentation and an uneven skin tone
- Melasma may cause uneven skin tone and dark spots on the face
- Products for uneven skin tone and pigmented dark spots
- Cleansers for dark spots
- Skin Lightening products to treat dark spots
- Melasma creams and serums
- Products for dark spots on black skin
- Products for non-pigmented skin
- Even skin tone skin types should use sunscreen to keep skin tone even
Wrinkle-Prone (W) or Tight (T)
- How to Identify:
- Why is My Skin considered Wrinkle-Prone or Tight?
- Anyone over age 30 is considered wrinkle-prone should begin an antiaging skincare routine.
- Anyone under age 30 should begin antiaging skincare if they have frequent sun exposure
- Products for Wrinkle-Prone Skin
- Antiaging skincare
- Products for Tight Skin
- Use sunscreen to keep skin from wrinkling and sagging
How to Find Your Custom Skin Type
This is easy- take the skin type quiz! At the end of the quiz, you will be given a suggested skincare routine with exact product recommendations. If you add a doctor/ medical provider code- the products that will be suggested to you will be the ones chosen and recommended by your dermatologist, doctor, or medical provider.
We know your skin is unique. Learn about your custom skincare regimen and how you can further customize your skincare routine to match your personal preferences.
Vegan? No problem. Looking for “clean” products, gluten-free or cruelty-free. Our customizable routines will allow you to choose based on your beliefs and still ensure that the skincare products are right for you! Once you take the skin type quiz, you will receive a suggested skincare routine that is customized for your skin type and lifestyle habits. You will then have a chance to adjust and further customize the regimen by choosing from other products for various brands that have been tested and are right for your skin type and work well with the other products in the regimen. You can choose by price, band, or other filters such as vegan, gluten-free, cruelty-free, clean, safe for the environment and non-toxic.
The important point is- once you take the quiz- you can be certain that the skincare options you are given
- Are beneficial to your skin type
- Are not harmful to your skin type
- Have been tested by dermatologists in a full skincare routine
- Have been tested by dermatologists on patients with your same skin type
- Layer on top of each other without decreasing the effectiveness of other products in the regimen.
So- be confident that you are using the right skincare products for your skin.
Take the quiz now.
Recommended products based on the information in this Blog