How It Works
We are going to empower you &
CHANGE THE WAY
YOU SHOP FOR SKIN CARE !
At Skin Type Solutions (STS) – we are passionate about guiding you to the best skin care products to transform your skin’s appearance. We are a group of 250+ dermatologists, physicians and medical providers who care deeply about your skin health.
We give you unbiased, brand agnostic, dermatologist recommended product recommendations in addition to a step by step skin care routine. We never settle for the latest skin care solution. We constantly research, test, and expand our expertise every day- always searching for the best skin care product in the world. We see it as our duty to be the smart, honest and unbiased source for product information, recommendations and instructions on how to use skin care products in the right skin routine for your skin type. We are not a skin care product line. We are researchers, doctors, and educators who empower you with the best advice on skincare to guide you to your best skin ever.
How Skin Type Solutions Works:
- ANSWER the quick skin type quiz to diagnose your unique skin type
- LEARN about your Baumann Skin Type®
- RECEIVE a customized skin care routine built by our patented technology
- PERSONALIZE by choosing from a list of different brands and price points
- USE the efficacious products our doctors recommend for you
- ENJOY improvement of your skin’s barriers to skin health
- RENEW your skin care routine every month. Compliance matters
- RETAKE the skin type quiz every 3 months because your skin type improves
- FIND a STS approved medical provider for skin treatments
- FOLLOW us on social media to stay informed. @SkinTypeSolutions
- RESEARCH our dermatologist written content in our skin care library
The Best Skin Typing System
STS uses the innovative Baumann Skin Typing System - the only skin typing system found in medical textbooks and used by doctors. This gold standard of skin typing systems guides you on how to improve skin health by identifying the presence or absence of 4 barriers to skin health. Learn what underlying skin problems you have, and our trustworthy expertise will guide you and support you on your journey to glowing healthy skin.
What Are the 16 Skin Types?
Our relentless research has identified 16 Baumann Skin Types with 4 subtypes of sensitive skin. We can give you an informative skin care guide and direct you to ethical and efficacious skin care brands as well as an effective skin care routine once we know your Baumann Skin Type and lifestyle habits.
Our Scientific Skin Type Quiz
The STS skin type quiz has been scientifically validated and is used by dermatologists to assess skin types around the world. Only STS and Skin Type Solutions-approved medical providers have access to the latest valid version of the STS skin type quiz. Beware- there are many companies offering skin type quizzes and skin type classifications that are not scientifically proven.
Our free and proven skin type quiz takes 3-5 minutes and will save you time and money because you will not buy the wrong skin care products. Our skincare routine recommendations are personalized to your specific skin needs.
Personalized and Dermatologist-Recommended Skin Care Routines
We are driven to design efficacious skin care routines that target all your barriers to skin health. Our specialized technology contains over 40,000 proven, unique skin care routines that are customized for you by the way you answer the questions in the skin type test. These skin care routines have been tested on the 16 Baumann Skin Types by dermatologists over the last decade and are constantly updated as new skin care technologies emerge.
- Take the Quiz and get your Recommended Custom Kit
- Or Shop individual products
If you were referred by one our STS Approved Physician, they will prescribe you an efficacious custom routine based on their own brand preferences within the Skin Type Solutions guidelines.
How We Choose Skin Care Products for Each Skin Care Routine?
Honesty, integrity, and transparency are at the core of our business. The trust placed in us by our physician partners and their patients is paramount, and we work to earn and maintain that trust by only choosing products for inclusion in the system that are formulated, manufactured and packaged in a manner that ensures the highest efficacy. We have 50+ brands and try to include all the best skin care products in the world. We research and test the products ourselves, and with our patients, independently from the skin care companies. We observe the outcomes, compare the doctor’s observations, and consider our patients’ product preferences.
Skin care brands cannot pay to have preferred placement on our site because that would violate our policy of transparency. The recommended products that populate the skin care routines and skin care kits are the skin care products that have demonstrated the best skin benefits.
We insist that the skin care products chosen for inclusion in the STS system have the following:
- Proven ingredients that target the barriers to skin health
- Absence of ingredients that will worsen the barriers to skin health
- Ability to Improve skin health of patients as determined by doctors using the system
- Proof of efficacy when used on the corresponding skin type
- Ability to Improve the efficacy of other products in the routine when products are layered
- Proper bottling and manufacturing to ensure that formulations are potent
- Approval by our advisory board of doctors and medical aestheticians
- Meet the criteria for products found in our patent #
- Are Made by ethical beauty brands with cruelty free research methods
- Are made by a Skin care brand that has clean manufacturing facilities and follows federal regulations
How Do We Decide Which Skin Care Products to Recommend?
We are relentless about searching for the best skin care products in the world. Our recommendations are constantly changing as new skin care technologies emerge and research sheds light on new skin science. Therefore, you should retake the skin type quiz every 3 months and update your skin care regimen to the latest, best skin care products. We offer thousands of skin care products from many beauty brands, but we use our dermatology expertise to choose the products that populate the skin care routines. This is the criteria that we use to determine which products to include in the skin care kits and the skin care routine. These are listed in the order of the importance and weight we give them in our decision:
- Most efficacious of all the products that meet the criteria
- Products that will layer best with the other products
- Patients that test the products have given good reviews
- Products with fewer side effects
- Affordable skin care products
- Products and brands with truthful and not misleading advertising
- Sustainable packaging
- Brands have demonstrated that they care about skin health
Do I Still Need A Dermatologist If I Begin This Skincare Routine?
Our advice does not replace an in person or online consult with your physician. Information on this website is provided for educational purposes and does not create a doctor-patient relationship. However, if you do not have an STS approved physician in your area- we can help you make healthy decisions about your skin. Our information, advice and recommendations are constantly updated as new products come out or we receive feedback from the physicians and patients in our program about new skin care products.
We recommend that you begin your personalized skin care routine for at least 4 weeks. Your skin type will improve with the proper skin care and your skin care needs will change. Retake the skin type quiz every 3 months and adjust your skin care routine accordingly because your skin type should improve. For best results, follow up with a STS approved medical provider. The Skin Type Solutions System is used by 200+ doctors who have been trained by STS to be skin typing experts. You can find a STS approved medical provider here.
Our Educational Content
I am the author of 3 Dermatology Textbooks and a NY Times Bestselling book The Skin Type Solution. I love skin care science and I love to write. So- I put together what I believe to be the best skin care library. I am working on the Cosmeceutical Ingredient Dictionary now. Please come and check it out. I wrote over 99% of it myself. (I did a lot of the images too so pardon me if they are not as a great as a graphic professional can do.)
Please email us or tell us on social media what topics you want me to add to the skin care blog. You can also visit You Tube and see (or be in) our Skin Type Talks. I invite you to join our community!
Dr. Leslie Baumann MD, FAAD