Growth Factors in Skin Care List
There are many types of growth factors found in skin care. Which growth factor are best for antiaging? The answer is complicated. Each growth factor binds to different receptors and has different activities. Growth factors work together and affect each other and stimulate each other’s receptors. Which is best for antiaging depends upon:
- What is your Baumann Skin Type?
- What other products are you suing in your skin care routine?
- How much pollution re you exposed to
- Lifestyle habits that cause aging
Before you spend a lot of money on expensive growth factor serums, make sure they are right for YOU!. The best way to know is to shop by your Baumann Skin Type and follow our specific dermatologist recommended skin care routines for your skin type and lifestyle habits. When you use growth factors in your skin care routine and what other products are in the routine will effect how well growth factors work.
Here is a list of growth factors in skin care products.
Click the growth factor (if underlined) to learn more about how it works in skin.
- Epidermal Growth Factors
- Fibroblast Growth Factors
- Insulin-like Growth Factor (IGF)-I
- Keratinocyte Growth Factor
- Platelet-derived Growth Factors
- Transforming growth factor alpha
- Transforming Growth Factor β (TGF-β)
- Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor
Which growth factor is best as an antiaging ingredient?
TGF-β has the most data to support its use for antiaging.
Problems with growth factors in skin serums:
- Unstable in the bottle or jar
- Difficulty penetrating into the skin because they are larger than the 500 kDa size identified as the threshold for penetration into the epidermis.(2, 3)
- Rapidly broken down by protease enzymes when applied on the skin.
For these reasons, the way that the products are formulated and the position they are placed in the skin regimen is very important!
You can learn more about how growth factors work on skin at this link. (coming soon)
Find the best antiaging products for you by shopping by your Baumann Skin Type
Growth factor products:
- Baumann L. Antiaging Ingredients in Ch. 37 of Baumann's Cosmetic dermatology Ed 3. (McGraw Hill 2022)
- Cal K. Across the skin barrier: known methods, new performances. In: Caldwell GW, ur-Rahman A, Yan Z, Choundhary MI. Frontiers in drug design and discovery. Bentham Science Publishers 2009; 4: 162-88
- Mehta RC, Fitzpatrick RE. Endogenous growth factors as cosmeceuticals. Dermatol Ther 2007;20(5):350–359