Saururus chinensis is an East Asian plant also called Asian Lizard's tail, Chinese Lizard’s tail, or Sam-baekcho in Korean. Saururus chinensis from the Lizard tail plant is a new antiaging cosmeceutical ingredient that is also found in creams to treat hyperpigmentation.
Is Saururus Chinensis the best ingredient for your skin? The best way to find the right products is to shop by your Baumann Skin Type.
Skin Benefits of Saururus chinensis
Saururus chinensis has natural anti-inflammatory and antioxidant abilities that make this Lizard tail Plant ideal for soothing sensitive skin while treating wrinkles and dark spots.
Saururus chinensis is used to treat:
Is Lizard Tail Plant Extract Good for Your Skin?
The Asian Lizard Tail Plant has the following properties:
Saururus Chinensis (Chinese Lizard’s Tail) is recommended for the following Baumann Skin Types:
Evidence Based Research on Saururus Chinensis in Skin Care Products
Eczema and Atopic Dermatitis
Choi et al. showed that the leaves of S. chinensis prevented eczema skin rashes in mice. The lizard tail plant was thought to work by stimulating the Th1 cell immune response and modulating Th1/Th2 imbalance. (1)
Protection of Skin Against Skin Cancer
Lee et al. showed that Lizard Tail plant extract slowed growth human cancer cells. (2)
Anti-inflammatory Benefits of Saururus Chinensis
Sauchinone is found in Lizard Tail Plant. Bae et al. demonstrated that sauchinone gives S. chinensis some of its soothing properties by lowering tumor necrosis factor (TNF)-α synthesis by inhibiting the c-Raf-MEK1/2-ERK1/2 phosphorylation pathway. (3) Zhang et al. showed that an extract of S. chinensis leaves blocked expression of inflammatory genes by blocking the TAK1/AP-1 pathway. (4) The Asian Lizard tail plant blocks various different inflammatory pathways which explains its soothing and calming effects on sensitive skin.
Antioxidant and Photoprotection Benefits of Saururus Chinensis
Sauchinone, found in the Lizard Tail plant, protects human skin cells (keratinocytes) from sun damage and blocks the upregulation of matrix metalloproteinase (MMP-1 ) enzymes that usually occur after UVB exposure and cause a break down of type 1 collagen in the skin. Sauchinone has antioxidant activity and suppresses extracellular signal-regulated kinase, c-Jun N-terminal kinase, and p38 MAPK signaling through the activation of oxidative defense enzymes. (5)
Skin Whitening and Lightening Effects of Chinese Lizard Tail Plant
Manassantin A and B found in S. chinensis blocks melanin synthesis by down-regulating the expression of tyrosinase or the TRP1 gene and inhibiting expression of microphthalmia-associated transcription factor (MITF) (6, 7). This cosmetic ingredient also blocks melanosome transport by interrupting the interaction between melanophilin and myosin Va. (8) Lizard tail extract also inhibits the melanogenesis signaling pathway activated by α-MSH, causing dose-dependent inhibition without causing cytotoxicity. The depigmenting activity of S. chinensis extracts may occur as a result of elevated activity of extracellular signal-regulated kinase (ERK). (2)
Lizard Tail extract is an exciting new skin care ingredient that blocks inflammation, damage form sun, aging, and production of skin pigment. It is ideal for skin types that suffer from inflammation and pigmentation such as sensitive skin with dark spots. The best way to know if this is the best ingredient for YOU is to know your Baumann Skin Type and shop for products based on your skin type.
By ?? Shihchuan from ??? (Taipei City), ?? (Taiwan) - 2010-04-22 060 and By Alpsdake - Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=53295902 https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=25172132
- Choi MS, Kim EC, Lee HS, Kim SK, Choi HM, Park JH, Han JB, An HJ, Um JY, Kim HM, Han AR, Hong MC, Bae H, Min BI. Inhibitory effects of Saururus chinensis (LOUR.) BAILL on the development of atopic dermatitis-like skin lesions in NC/Nga mice. Biol Pharm Bull. 2008 Jan;31(1):51-6.
- Lee YJ, Kim J, Yi JM, Oh SM, Kim NS, Kim H, Oh DS, Bang OS, Lee J. Anti-proliferative neolignans from Saururus chinensis against human cancer cell lines. Biol Pharm Bull. 2012;35(8):1361-6.
- Bae HB, Li M, Son JK, Seo CS, Chung SH, Kim SJ, Jeong CW, Lee HG, Kim W, Park HC, Kwak SH. Sauchinone, a lignan from Saururus chinensis, reduces tumor necrosis factor-alpha production through the inhibition of c-raf/MEK1/2/ERK 1/2 pathway activation. Int Immunopharmacol. 2010 Sep;10(9):1022-8.
- Zhang J, Rho Y, Kim MY, Cho JY. TAK1 in the AP-1 pathway is a critical target of Saururus chinensis (Lour.) Baill in its anti-inflammatory action. J Ethnopharmacol. 2021 Oct 28;279:114400.
- Park G, Kim HG, Sim Y, Sung SH, Oh MS. Sauchinone, a lignan from Saururus chinensis, protects human skin keratinocytes against ultraviolet B-induced photoaging by regulating the oxidative defense system. Biol Pharm Bull. 2013;36(7):1134-9.
- Seo CS, Lee WH, Chung HW, Chang EJ, Lee SH, Jahng Y, Hwang BY, Son JK, Han SB, Kim Y. Manassantin A and B from Saururus chinensis inhibiting cellular melanin production. Phytother Res. 2009 Nov;23(11):1531-6.
- Lee HD, Lee WH, Roh E, Seo CS, Son JK, Lee SH, Hwang BY, Jung SH, Han SB, Kim Y. Manassantin A inhibits cAMP-induced melanin production by down-regulating the gene expressions of MITF and tyrosinase in melanocytes. Exp Dermatol. 2011 Sep;20(9):761-3.
- Chang H, Choi H, Joo KM, Kim D, Lee TR. Manassantin B inhibits melanosome transport in melanocytes by disrupting the melanophilin-myosin Va interaction. Pigment Cell Melanoma Res. 2012 Nov;25(6):765-72.