Can I use Retinol, Hyaluronic acid, and Vitamin C together?
Can I use Retinol, Hyaluronic acid, and Vitamin C together in my skin care routine?
Most of the 16 Baumann Skin Types can use retinol, hyaluronic acid and Vitamin C together.
To find out if your skin type can use all of these skin serums together, diagnose your Baumann Skin Type and then follow our step-by-step skin care routine recommendations.
Things to know before you use retinol, ascorbic acid and hyaluronic acid (HA) together
- Retinol turns into retinoic acid in the skin
- All 3 ingredients are acids
- Hyaluronic acid will increase the absorption of both retinol and Vitamin C
- Vitamin C needs to be a pH of 2-3 to absorb well
- Retinol absorbs very well
- HA absorption depends upon the length of the HA chains in the serum
- Increased absorption of retinol leads to increased side effects
How you layer retinol, vitamin C and hyaluronic acid in your skin care routine will determine skin benefits and side effects.
How to Layer Vitamin C serum , Retinol and Hyaluronic acid?
- Vitamin C always comes first because it has difficulty absorbing into the skin.
- Hyaluronic acid serums should be applied after Vitamin C
- HA serums applied before or after retinol increases retinol absorption
- Hyaluronic acid should only be used when you can use retinol without side effects
Can you use Vitamin C in am and retinol in pm?
Unless you have rosacea, stinging skin or irritated skin, you can use Vitamin C in the am and retinol in the pm. These are both acids, so do not use any other exfoliating products in your skin care routine so that you do not over exfoliate.
Can I use Vitamin C in the morning and hyaluronic acid at night?
You can but it is better to use the hyaluronic acid on top of the vitamin C in the am. A HA serum will help vitamin C penetrate. Also, hyaluronic acid plumps wrinkles, making your skin look smoother. You want this effect in the daytime.
How do you use Vitamin C, retinol and hyaluronic acid at night?
First apply Vitamin C serum and wait 5 minutes. Then mix the retinol and HA serum together on the back of your hand and then apply to your face.
Using all 3 serums may be too strong for many Baumann Skin Types, so take the quiz and get our recommendations specific to your skin type.
Can I use retinol after hyaluronic acid and Vitamin C
You can use retinol after HA and Vitamin C, but the hyaluronic acid will increase retinol absorption and increase risk of side effects.
Can I use Retinol, Hyaluronic acid, and Vitamin C and Niacinamide together?
You can use these ingredients together, however this combination is not good for all Baumann Skin Types.
Vitamin C, retinol, niacinamide and hyaluronic acid do not inactivate each other. However, you must use them in the correct order for best results.
The correct order to layer retinol, hyaluronic acid, vitamin C and niacinamide for most skin types is:
- Vitamin C
- Hyaluronic acid
However, this advice varies depending on what Baumann Skin Type you are.
Once you take the quiz we will be able to give you better guidance.
Our goal is to empower you to make better skin care decisions!