This article was written over 2 years ago and accuracy cannot be certain due to advancements in medicine and technology.
July 29, 2014
Foundation for Every Skin TypeDr. Leslie Baumann
I've spent much of my career emphasizing the fact that skin care can't be a one-size-fits-all proposition: Even an excellent product is worthless if it doesn't target your skin's needs or, worst of all, if it aggravates your skin's challenges.
And that's not just true for your cleansers and moisturizers -- I have found that the right skin type-specific foundation can also have a big impact on my patients' regimens. With the help of some of my fabulous visitors over at skintypesolutions.com, my patients, and several of my colleagues, I've started this list of great makeup options for every skin type. Have your own favorite? Share it in the comments!
- Revlon ColorStay Makeup for Combination/Oily Skin is oil-free, which is something oily skin types should look for to fight shine all day long.
- For oily sun-damaged skin, try Neutrogena Healthy Skin Enhancer tinted moisturizer, which includes retinol to fight the lines and wrinkles associated with UV exposure. I am not certain that retinol will hold its activity in sunlight so you need to combine with a retinol containing night cream to make sure you benefit.
- For oily acne-prone skin, look for liquid makeup that contains salicylic acid, an excellent ingredient for penetrating pores and clearing out the clogs that contribute to breakouts. You'll find it, for example, in Neutrogena SkinClearing oil-free makeup, Lycogel's Acne Control Camouflage and Jan Marini's C-ESTA Perfection Treatment Foundation.
- For oily sensitive skin, Almay Smart Shade Makeup is a good option -- it uses physical sunscree(titanium dioxide and zinc oxide) instead of chemical sunscreen, which can cause stinging and burning in sensitive skin.
- Revlon also makes its ColorStay for Normal/Dry Skin.
- For dry skin that is prone to wrinkling and/or areas of hyperpigmentation, CoverGirl Advanced Radiance Age-Defying Makeup offers several benefits: It includes rich moisturizers, like glycerin, as well as niacinamide to help combat dark patches on the skin.
- Olay Definity Color Recapture is another great bet for dry, pigmented types -- it, too, is moisturizing and contains niacinamide to help minimize and prevent dark spots. It also contains glucosamine, which studies have shown may stimulate production of hyaluronic acid, the natural component of the dermis that gives skin fullness and helps it retain moisture.
- I have dry, sensitive skin and love DiorSkin Sculpt Line-Smoothing Lifting Makeup, which is richly moisturizing and goes on very smoothly. I buy it in Duty Free when I travel.
- Dry, sensitive skin is often particularly delicate and prone to wrinkling -- if this sounds like your skin type, consider Dr. Michelle Copeland's Ageless Skin Foundation. It's packed with not only rich moisturizers like aloe, stearic acid and glycerin, but also powerful anti-aging antioxidants.
- Chantecaille's Just Skin tinted moisturizer comes highly recommended by one of my readers in a dry climate -- tinted moisturizer can be a great alternative to foundation for anyone whose dry skin is further losing moisture to a dry environment.
- Illuminare's Fantastic Finish Foundation is another richly moisturizing option and includes glycerin and fatty acids to help nourish dry skin.
Combination Skin (If you are near the middle of the dry-oily scale, these products might be particularly well suited to your skin.):
- One of my colleagues swears by Maybelline PureStay Powder Foundation (particularly convenient since it comes in a compact and can be applied as easily as a pressed powder). It leaves skin looking fresh, feels comfortable for hours and gives you just the right amount of coverage.
- Abella ColorShade offers something for a variety of skin concerns: It won't clog pores (important for acne-prone types), is hypoallergenic (a must for sensitive types) and contains powerful antioxidants like green tea extract (great for everyone and crucial for types that are prone to wrinkling).
- Exuviance Skin Caring Foundation is a good bet for sensitive types. Its SPF coverage comes through physical sunscreen (versus potentially irritating chemical sunscreen), and it includes skin barrier-strengthening moisturizers like glycerin and stearic acid to bolster skin's natural defenses.
- Another one of my colleagues highly recommends VMV Hypoallergenics' Metamorphoskin 15 for a wide range of skin types. With all major allergens removed, it is a great bet for sensitive, allergic types. If you are allergic to other foundations, this one is right for you.
One final note: As you may notice, many of these -- and other -- foundations include sunscreen. But don't let that give you a false sense of security! In order to obtain the SPF listed on these products' labels, you would need to apply far more than you likely use on a daily basis. Whether your makeup includes SPF or not, you'll still need to use a separate sunscreen every day to be properly protected.