This article was written over 2 years ago and accuracy cannot be certain due to advancements in medicine and technology.
July 30, 2014
5 Must-Haves For Controlling ShineDr. Leslie Baumann
When it comes to “Oily” skin, selecting the right products can be tricky. Too much moisture makes your face look shiny, while too little can actually send oil glands into overdrive. Either way, you lose. While it can take a little trial and error to find just the right regimen, following your Skin Type Solutions recommendations makes the process a whole lot easier.
In addition to your cleanser—which should contain salicylic acid to keep your skin looking its best—it’s important to round out your regimen with a few specialty products geared specifically to your “Oily” skin, and here are 5 must-have mattifying options that are sure to keep shine at bay.
- OC Eight: If there’s one product every “Oily” type needs, it’s OC Eight. This professional-strength gel inhibits excess oil production and keeps skin shine-free for 8 hours. Use it under makeup or on its own and you’re all set.
- Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch: Sunscreens can leave a greasy residue that makes shine even worse, but this one leaves a matte finish that works beautifully under makeup.
- Mattifying moisturizer: Choose a hydrator that delivers moisture while keeping excess oil under wraps. REN Matte Balancing Fluid does just this, and you can find similar products at every price point.
- Topix Clay Mint Mask: A clay-based mask once or twice a week works wonders on “Oily” skin. Clay not only draws out excess oil, it helps keep pores clear as well.
- Blotting papers: Don’t leave home without a package of oil-absorbing sheets. They are great for eliminating shine without disturbing makeup or clogging pores.
If these tips alone aren’t enough to keep your “Oily” skin under control, you can try a few other things as well. Try topping off your sunscreen with an oil-absorbing powder or consider using a primer before applying makeup to help keep your foundation in place.