This article was written over 2 years ago and accuracy cannot be certain due to advancements in medicine and technology.
July 29, 2014
10 Summer Skin SaversDr. Leslie Baumann
It is summer! For most of us, that means more outdoor activities like jogging, softball and -- my personal favorite -- golf. Don't let sun damage, allergic reactions or sweat-induced acne ruin your summer fun. Here are 10 tips to keep your skin gorgeous all season long.
- Schedule outdoor activities in the early morning or evening to avoid the midday sun. Morning is better, as skin-damaging pollution from auto exhaust tends to build up as the day goes on.
- Take a fern-extract supplement like the SunPill or Heliocare before sun exposure to reduce UV damage. Drinking caffeinated green or black tea regularly can also help.
- Avoid using products that contain glycolic or salicylic acid before you work out. These increase your sensitivity to the sun and make skin sting when you sweat.
- If contact with leather gives you a rash, such as golf or baseball gloves, use a hand protector like Tetrix. This will create a barrier to help prevent contact with allergens.
- Take extra caution if you are on blood pressure meds or antibiotics: They can make you more sun sensitive and likely to burn.
- Try to avoid the sun for a few days after waxing your upper lip, eyebrows or bikini line to avoid the formation of a dark shadow in the waxed area. This happens when inflamed skin is exposed to UV rays.
- Reapply sunscreen every hour. I like SkinCeuticals Sport UV Defense because it doesn't run into my eyes when I sweat. If you don't want your hands to get sticky, use a stick sunscreen instead.
- Wear specially manufactured sun-protective clothing and hats, which can block out 97 percent of the sun's rays and never need to be reapplied. Many sport clothing manufacturers, including Nike and Columbia, offer these.
- Those prone to rosacea may flush red with sports, especially when played under a hot sun. A topical caffeine cream such as Topix Replenix CF can help.
- After your workout, remove sweaty clothes as soon as possible and wash with antibacterial soap to prevent acne.
Wishing you great skin!